Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Listen In




Sitting in my room completely floored at the raw and beautiful melodies of Bethel's Steffany Gretzinger's new solo album.



When I hear the songs I just picture the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible.


Luke 10:38-42New International Version (NIV)

At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


When I read this story, I feel sad. Not for Martha, but because too many times I am Martha.

We get so caught up in our lives that we do not realize that Jesus is present.

In busy moments, there never seems to be room for Him. 

This isn't just an observation, but truth. You see, as humans christians, we fill our time with normal functions such as work or school and then add on the "religious" aspect to our lives - church/practice for a church club/small group/church outing/church dinner/Bible study/etc.....

Do you see where I'm going with this??

All of these things are great, even amazing. But, are we approaching our lives as a Mary or a Martha.

Most of the time, it's as Martha. While we are doing what we are required to do or even what we want to do, are we recognizing Jesus. 

I catch myself missing Him most in ministry settings. It's so easy to get in the mindset that while I am doing "God's work", we are spending time with Him. But in reality I'm not.

Martha is in mission mode. She is preparing super for JESUS and His DISCIPLES. I know I would be hurriedly getting things ready and yes unfortunately probably get frustrated if my help was just sitting in the living room doing nothing.

But what she doesn't recognize, is that the Savior of the world is sitting in her house!!!

Tonight, spending some time with Jesus, I prayed that I would have a heart after Him, that I would be prompted by the Holy Spirit to recognize His presence every day. 

Steffany Gretzinger gives such a pure reflection of a love relationship with Jesus.

Take a listen to my favorite song on the album!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment